Headliner Replacement

This is the big job that has to be done on every Beneteau First 235. When I bought my boat, this is what I had to face..


Yuck. Notice that the headliner on the port side is totally gone, and to starboard, it is starting to fall. See the whole story after the break:




In the first video, I'll discuss why this has happened, and what your options are for fixing it.



Maybe one more video during the glue removal process. We'll talk about the infamous foam backing, and options for replacing the vinyl.



Instead of me making a video of installing the Hullblanket headliner, I'll just show one of the pros at sailrite having a go on an Islander 37. This video is not directly related to me working in my boat, so it is not required viewing unless you are actually going to do your headliner!



Finally. Something that looks like progress!

I installed the majority of the headliner today. Have a look!




The one thing I will add here that I forgot to say in the video; when you are placing the hull blanket over hullblanket, you CAN NOT pull them apart and reset them. The adhesive really likes holding on to the nap of the hullblanket, and it will rip before letting go. The Sailrite video show them pulling it back and resetting. You can do that on bare fiberglass, but not the overlapped blanket.

Probably last post on the headliner. A look at the Galley area, and some of the special steps I took here.


That foam really made a difference. Two strips of 1/4 inch closed cell foam, 4x36 inches. I bought it at an foam shop (yes there are such things) in Minneapolis, the two strips cost me $5. A very good deal. Here are a few hi-res pix of the finished deal, and after final view of a much improved interior. Hard to believe that besides my time, this project cost me less than $200, and transformed my boat.


A final video, at least for now, on the water!




A final fish-eye view of the new cabin:

Also see the post on the install of the portlights HERE

11 comments:

  1. Terrific description of the process. I am looking at doing the same in two cabins on a Benetau 510.
    Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s common for your headliner to fall off—especially when your car ages. Heat, humidity and time are the main factors that provoke your car’s headliner to fall off. Since your car becomes unsightly when the headliner falls off, it’s paramount that you repair it. To Headliner Repair, all you need to do is to carefully remove the current headliner and peel the old headliner fabric. You should then brush off the old adhesive foam from your headliner board. After you have removed the entire adhesive, you should glue the new headliner fabric and reinstall it back into your car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I are having to do the same on a Beneteau First 26. The old headlining is coming out this weekend.... messy job!!

    http://genesisbeneteaufirst26.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I badly need to perform this same work on my Beneteau First 345 in Rhode Island. I've got an auto top guy who will cut and bind new vinyl pieces exactly like the ones I'm removing, so my tasks will be removal, cleaning, and reinstallation. Here's my question: Why must the old *adhesive* be removed? Why not simply scrub off all the remaining sponge dust with a wire brush? Though you've done a fabulous job and don't seem the worse for wear, I'd like to avoid the chemical exposure, if possible. What do you think of this idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don,

      I think you will be OK. I recently had to do some headliner on my First 260, and I did just that. I removed as much (75%?) of the glue with mechanical means. The put the new stuff up. Grabbed tight. So far so good!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for the detailed process info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you lighten the wood also? If so how? I have a 1981 C&C that Im doing some interior work on. And i hate the reddish/dark oil/stain of the teak. Ive used "wood brightener" with not much success.

    ReplyDelete